Travel is hard on our systems, both physically and mentally. Air travel in particular has some annoyances that can quickly go from irritating to having an all out tantrum. Packed security lines, being late to your flight, the crappy airline service all add fuel to the fire. Top that with sitting in a cramped metal tube thirty five thousand feet above sea level and your system can become wrecked. Airport restaurants have gotten better, but for the most part, finding a healthy meal in airport can be tough. Here are 5 simple, healthy snacks for your next flight:
1. Instant Oatmeal - Just bring a pack and ask your flight attendant for a cup of hot water and a plastic spoon. Voila!
2. Easy Mix Protein Powder or Jerky - Fill a zip-lock bag with your favorite easy mix protein that can easily dissolve in water or bring some of your favorite Jerky (low sodium is best).
3. Peanut Butter and Jelly Sandwich - The trick here is to use bread that doesn't get soggy. My favorite is Ezekiel Bread - sometimes found in the freezer section.
4. Sturdy Fruits & Veggies - Broccoli, Zucchini, Carrots and Apples are all great. Oranges in the peel work too.
5. Nuts, Nuts, Nuts - Eat em, they are good for you, just watch the salt content.
Always remember to drink as much water as you can and stand up every hour or so and walk around on long flights.
The Sweat Social Team